What Is A Room Parent?
Are you thinking about signing up as a room parent? Want to know more about what a room parent does?
The room parent facilitates communication between other parents and the teacher. Some room parents also act as the liaison with the school parent group, and very occasionally school staff. The expectations for each school and class vary slightly but for the most part you’ll ask parents for donations for classroom parties and events, collect money for teacher gifts, organize volunteers for the classroom and events, and other miscellaneous tasks the teacher might request.
Most room moms:
- Organize class parties, usually around a specific topic or theme.
- Collect money from parents and organize teacher gifts at holidays and during teacher appreciation week
- Recruit and coordinate volunteers for classroom support, school events, and field trips
- Send out reminders about events, activities, field trips, etc.
- Attend parent group meetings.
- Keep an up-to-date list of contact information for all parents
Homeroom Mom 101 has more inside scoop from a fellow room mom who is also a teacher.